Marionetas do Porto was formed in september 1988, a symbolic date which coincided with the introduction of this company in the official selection of the Festival Mondial des Théâtres de Marionnettes, in Charleville-Mézières.
The company’s repertoire starts with “Teatro Dom Roberto”, traditional Portuguese puppets inherited by João Paulo Seara Cardoso (1956-2010), from puppet master António Dias, the last representative of the itinerant puppeteers generation in 1980.
Teatro de Belomonte
Company head office, located in the historic center of Porto, with a small auditorium with 41 seats, office and workshop.
Cast and Artistic Team
We are seven in continuity work and many more depending on each company’s creation or museum program. What binds us is the passion for marionettes. Our work: the unconventional creation of the marionette, a continuously updated concept, and the understanding of marionette theatre as a poetic and imaginative language evocative of contemporaneity.
Isabel Barros, Rui Queiroz de Matos, Shirley Resende, Sofia Carvalho, Filipe Azevedo, Pedro Ramos, João Pedro Trindade
Museu das Marionetas do Porto
Inaugurated in 2013, to celebrate the 25 years of the company and, simultaneously, to inscribe the work of João Paulo Seara Cardoso in the city.
Polo Marionetas do Porto / Quinta de Bonjóia
The creation of this space at “Quinta de Bonjóia”, functions as an out-of-doors museum, with a one-year temporary exhibition.
In this way, the “Marionetas do Porto” embrace through their work an area of the most needy and distant city of the Historical Center, place where is the headquarters and the Museum.